Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1920
Terraced two-storey shop, built c.1915, being western half of three-bay building and having shopfront to ground floor. Rendered parapet and chimneystack to roof. Painted rendered walls with moulded render cornice and modillions, having Giant Order pilasters to upper floors terminating in paired eaves brackets. First and second floor windows in slightly advanced render compositions. Square-headed tripartite window openings to first floor with concrete sills and moulded render surrounds, with moulded render panels above over which are Diocletian windows of second floor having moulded sills, moulded render surrounds and keystones. Timber casement windows to second floor and replacement timber windows to first floor. Shopfront comprises half of chamfered entranceway leading to upper floors, with glazed entrance door having mosaic threshold, pilasters with moulded decorative panels and dentillated fascia, with square-headed plate glass windows and glazed shop door.
This building is part of a large scale building occupying possibly the most prominent corner site in the centre of Clonmel and directly opposite the Main Guard, at the junction of O'Connell Street and Sarsfield Street. There is much decorative emphasis in the structure, as evidenced by the large Diocletian windows, render surrounds and cornice. The building also provides variety of style and form to the streetscape.