Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1730 - 1920
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, built c.1735, now in use as shop with timber shopfront to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with moulded limestone cornice, rendered chimneystacks, cast-iron roof-lights and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted lined-and-ruled rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with timber sliding sash windows, three-over-six pane to second floor with limestone sills and four-over-four square pane to first floor. Shopfront, c.1915, comprising timber pilasters with timber fascia and cornice above, square-headed plate glass windows with timber sills and recessed square-headed door opening with timber panelled door and margined over-light. Square-headed door opening providing access to upper floors, having timber panelled door and over-light.
The well-organized fenestration of this building is enhanced by the retention of the varied timber sash windows. The fine moulded cornice reflects the considerable age of the building, one of the earliest surviving on O’Connell Street, and the ground floor timber shopfront is a well-designed addition of the early twentieth century.