Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced three-bay two-storey house over basement, built c.1830. Now in use as shop and having shopfront and square-headed integral passageway to front elevation. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with square-headed window openings having painted stone sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront comprising painted ruled-and-lined rendered walls with timber panelled pilasters flanking openings with timber fasciaboard and moulded cornice above. Square-headed door opening to upper floor with timber panelled door and plain over-light. Square-headed door to shop with timber panelled double-leaf door. Bipartite square-headed plate glass window having carved timber surround and sill with decorative spandrels and stall riser with recessed panels. Wrought-iron gate to passageway.
The modest size and scale of this building make it a fine addition to the narrow streetscape. It retains much of its original form which is enhanced by the retention timber sliding sash windows and integral passageway. The simple, though well-executed, shopfront is a significant feature.