Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1825 - 1830
Detached two-storey over half-basement former free school, built 1826, now in use as school, comprising five-bay central entrance block with slightly recessed entrance bay, with four-bay projecting flanking blocks, single-storey extension to east and two-storey extension to rear. Sprocketed hipped artificial slate roofs with rendered chimneystacks and having paired moulded eaves brackets to entrance front. Painted roughcast rendered walls with limestone plinth, string course and having recessed rectangular panels to flanking blocks. Square-headed openings with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, stone sills and raised reveals. Square-headed opening with glazed timber panelled door, overlight and moulded surround, with cut limestone pediment with consoles, being part of string course, approached by flight of limestone steps with cast-iron railings. Snecked sandstone boundary walls with cut sandstone piers having dressed caps and cast-iron gates.
This former free school was designed by James Pain and George Richard Pain, pupils of John Nash. The advanced blocks, pedimented entrance, and recessed panels are interesting architectural features. Its recessed site and large scale make it an imposing feature on the streetscape. The gates and piers show evidence of fine craftsmanship.