Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1825
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey over basement house, built 1821, with single-bay two-storey addition having canted bow. Pitched and hipped artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Painted rendered walls with vermiculated render quoins and moulded render cornices to canted bow. Square-headed openings with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows and limestone sills to eastern bays. Shouldered square-headed openings to bow with timber casement windows and continuous moulded render sill courses, having decorative render imposts to ground floor. Replacement uPVC window to west gable. Segmental-headed entrance opening with timber panelled door flanked by fluted render pilasters supporting render cornice and plain fanlight, with limestone steps and cast-iron bootscrape. Rendered boundary wall to south east with square-headed pedestrian entrance having cast-iron gate.
This house is part of a terrace designed by renowned Clonmel architect William Tinsley for Charles Riall. It utilises typical Georgian features such as the diminishing windows, round-headed door opening and fanlight and its modest façade is enlivened by the render door surround and quoins. The bowed addition adds interest to the form of the house and incorporates well-executed render decoration. The house is enhanced by retention of its timber panelled door and by its timber sash windows.