Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1850 - 1855
Detached three-bay two-storey railway station with attached three-bay single-storey former station master's house to west, built 1852. Advanced end bays to front and projecting end bays to rear of station building, with three-stage tower to east gable. House has advanced gabled end bays, with single-bay link to station. Hipped artificial slate roof to station with cut limestone chimneystacks, cast-iron rainwater goods and limestone eaves course with brackets, and pitched slate roof to house. Snecked limestone walls with tooled limestone quoins and plinth, having moulded cut limestone string course to station. Flat-roofed canopy to centre of trackside elevation of station, supported by decorative cast-iron brackets. Lean-to canopy with timber siding to track side of house. Segmental-arched openings, with two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows, margined to first floor of station, tripled to ground floor of end bays front and rear, all with limestone sills with brackets, and raised dressed limestone block-and-start surrounds with keystones. Boarded windows to trackside and gable elevations. Triple round-headed openings to third stage of tower with cut limestone sill coursing and dressed limestone surrounds, imposts and keystones. Segmental-arched entrance to roadside with timber panelled double door having panelled overdoor and dressed limestone surround and keystone and flanked by windows. Round-headed opening to tower with timber panelled door and similar limestone dressings. Cast-iron letter box set into front façade. Rubble boundary walls.
This Italianate railway station, possibly designed by J.S Mulvany, is of obvious architectural design and detail. The tower, unusual for a railway station, makes it a landmark in the townscape. The building retains notable well-crafted features and its site is enhanced by the survival of related structures such as the footbridge, signal box and goods shed.