Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As



1750 - 1790


220885, 134920

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay two-storey house, built c.1770, with disused shopfront, and with single-storey extension with lean-to slate roof to rear. Pitched sprocketed artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Painted rendered walls with render quoins and render eaves course. Square-headed openings with moulded render surrounds and moulded sills, with replacement uPVC windows. Timber shopfront comprises fluted Corinthian columns with entablature over comprising architrave, frieze and dentillated modillioned cornice, with panelled stall riser and limestone plinth. Moulded detailing indicates formerly three-light display windows. Half-glazed double-leaf panelled timber shop door with decorative overlight and timber frieze, flanked by fluted pilasters and decorative consoles, in turn flanked by display windows with rounded and decorated top corners with wrought-iron window guards, panelled timber stall risers and dressed limestone plinths. Timber panelled house door with full-height sidelights and decorative overlight and timber frieze.


A simply-proportioned building which continues the roof line of the street, the render decoration enhances the façade as well as emphasising its form and proportions. The shopfront shows a classicism more usually associated with the porticoes of country houses or even the buildings of ancient Rome. It shows great attention to detail in both the design and the execution - the cornice has egg-and-dart motif moulding and sculpted modillions as well as dentils. The capitals are remarkably faithful to the Corinthian order of ancient Rome, complete with corner helices, abacus, astragal, fleuron and three rows of acanthus leaves.