Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
End of terrace four-bay three-storey house, built c.1800, with pub-front, also in use as public house. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack. Painted rendered walls with rendered eaves course. Square-headed timber sliding sash one-over-one pane windows with tooled limestone sills. Pub-front comprises two square-headed door openings with over-lights, having timber panelled doors, north being double-leaf with slate step, and quadripartite timber display window with wrought-iron window guard, timber pilasters flanking openings and supporting timber entablature comprising fascia, dentils and cornice. Outbuildings to rear.
The overall form and scale of this building give it an imposing presence on Watergate Street, particularly when viewed from the east as it terminates Burke Street. The retention of timber sash windows enhances the façade of this building. The vertical orientation of the windows and the pub-front doors and window are typical of Irish fenestration and shopfront design. Its location, next to a well-preserved sixteenth-century house, adds significantly to the setting.