Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1550 - 1920
Terraced five-bay two-storey house, built c.1575, but of largely late nineteenth-century appearance, having integral carriage opening and disused shopfront. Pitched artificial slate roof with prominent rendered chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods. Unpainted rendered walls with decorative metal vents. Square-headed one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with limestone sills, having wrought-iron window guards to ground floor windows. Round-headed door opening with replacement timber panelled door and plain fanlight. Render shopfront comprises stepped cornice over plain pilasters with consoles, timber panelled double-leaf door with over-light and timber display window with rounded corners, and render stall riser and limestone plinth.
The broad street frontage and prominent position in The Square make this building a significant feature in the townscape. Its façade is enhanced by the retention of timber sash windows, which gives it a patina of age. The shopfront is notable for its large-scale clearly defined forms, which suits the simple fenestration. The massive chimneystack betrays a late-medieval date for the origins of this building.