Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1550 - 1840
Terraced five-bay two and three-storey house with attic, built c.1575, façade reorganized in nineteenth century, with two shopfronts, with multiple-bay two-storey extension to rear having pitched slate roof. Pitched slate roof with roof-lights, eaves course and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed openings with timber sliding sash windows to western three bays, first floor having six- over-six pane windows and half-level having one-over-one pane window. Eastern bays have replacement uPVC windows. Square-headed door opening gives access to upper floor with timber panelled door. Timber shopfront comprises dentillated of western part of building, having cornice and fascia over fluted pilasters with fluted consoles. Western part has centrally placed half-glazed timber panelled door with decorative leaded over-light flanked by vertically-divided display windows with timber sills and render and painted stall risers. Shopfront to eastern part is replacement late twentieth century. Building retains early corbels to upper floor.
The dentillation to the cornice of the shopfront and the lozenge leaded over-light are evidence of the high quality of design and execution involved in its manufacture. The small-pane timber sash windows without horns appear typical of the early nineteenth century. Its roof pitch and level matches that of the building to the east to which it may have been linked, providing an interesting contrast to the taller buildings on the south side of Main Street.