Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic

Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As



1800 - 1890


220813, 134945

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay three-storey house, built c.1820, with disused shopfront of c.1875 to front elevation, and having projecting single-bay extension to first floor rear elevation with corrugated-iron walls and lean-to artificial slate roof. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack and moulded render eaves course. Rendered walls with render plinth and with decorative render guilloche plat-bands and decorative render borders to vertical edges. Square-headed window openings with decorative render surrounds comprising brackets supporting cornice, having timber sliding sash one-over-one pane windows, and tooled limestone sills, with railing to west end of ground floor and some replacement uPVC windows to rear. Timber shopfront comprises fascia over channelled pilasters, display window with rendered sill, square-headed door openings with plain over-lights and timber panelled doors, half-glazed double-leaf to shop. Yard to rear with single-storey outbuilding having rendered rubble walls and pitched corrugated-iron roof.


This house and former shop building stands out in the streetscape due to its tall amidst lower buildings, its decorative render details and its simple but pleasing timber shopfront. The feature of diminishing windows was influenced by classical and Georgian architecture, where the smaller upper windows are indicative of the hierarchy of space on the interior. This conceit was much imitated even in modest buildings, due to the status it conferred. The decorative render subtly enlivens an otherwise plain unpainted fa├žade, the plat-bands and consoles being themselves meticulously carved with small-scale detailed patterns.