Categories of Special Interest
1820 - 1860
End-of-terrace two-bay two-storey house, built c.1860, with attic. Now in use as shop and having recent three-bay single-storey extension to rear with mono-pitch artificial slate roof. Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystack and moulded render eaves course. Painted rendered walls with reticulated render quoins. Square-headed window openings, with round-headed opening to rear, all with limestone sills and replacement uPVC windows. Elliptical-headed chamfered door opening with moulded render surround and recessed doorway comprising render pilasters and cornice, plain fanlight and timber panelled door. Decorative wrought-iron gates to door opening and similar railing to ground floor window.
This building forms part of a terrace of similar structures, with common roof and eaves details, balancing the Town Hall at the other side of the lane leading to the medieval church and graveyard. The render quoins provide decorative detail and emphasize the form and proportions of the elevation. The carved pilasters to the doorcase, and the panelled door show a level of design and attention to decorative detail typical of skilled nineteenth-century craftsmanship. The doorway and the railings to the window and subtly echo the design of the Church of Ireland entrance gates beside it.