Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1840 - 1850
Detached five-bay two-storey over basement railway station, built c.1845. Now in use as offices. Screen walls to platform and canted bay windows to trackside elevation. Skirt slate roof, with rendered chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls, partially roughcast rendered to front elevation. Square-headed window openings, with timber sliding sash six-over-six pane windows to first floor, nine-over-six pane to ground floor, all having painted sills. Window guards to front elevation ground floor. Moulded cornice and timber battening to bay windows, with recessed fixed timber windows with painted sills. Segmental-headed door openings to principal elevations, with glazed timber panelled double-leaf doors, timber panelled pilasters with moulded capitals, glazed timber panelled side panels and cut limestone plinth course. Blocked fanlight to front, spoked fanlight to trackside doorway. Wrought and cast-iron railings to front elevation. Interior has moulded coving to walls, moulded timber architraves to timber panelled door, timber benches to waiting room with turned legs, and timber panelled surround to ticket box with carved timber rail. Rendered screen walls to platform, partially painted and having round-headed niches flanking track-side elevation. Square-headed cut-stone openings to east and west, with wrought-iron pedestrian gate. Tarmac car park to north and east of site.
The establishment of a railway network brought an era of great social and economic activity to Ireland. This railway station building unusually has classical proportions and detailing. It forms part of a group that includes a cast-iron railway bridge, a signal cabin and crossing gates. The building has been sympathetically reused and retains significant internal fabric. The entrance hall is particularly intact and fine craftsmanship is evident in the high-quality joinery.