Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1900
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, built c.1880, with shopfront, and access to upper floors. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystacks, cresting to ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with stucco panelled pilaster details framing upper floors. Square-headed window openings with chamfered render pilasters, having painted moulded sills to second floor, canopy details to first floor. Elaborate timber and render shopfront to ground floor with moulded bracketed cornice having cast-iron cresting, egg-and-dart detailing, dentils, female masks to consoles, decorative capitals and fluted and panelled pilasters with moulded plinths. Entrance porch having timber boarded ceiling and side, and ceramic tiled pavement, with square-headed replacement glazed timber entrance door, sidelights and over-light, closed by decorative cast-iron gate. Fixed timber display windows with moulded sills. Square-headed entrance opening to upper floors with replacement glazed timber door.
Loughman’s has a highly decorative façade that adds considerable interest and artistic quality to Church Street. It is one of the finest of a group of distinctive and ornate shopfronts in Tipperary Town. Details such as the cresting to the cornice and the masks to the consoles are particularly fine touches. The porch and recessed doorway imply a shop of superior quality that recognizes the impact of a well-defined entrance. The plaster motif and good render detailing are carried through the whole building, helping to create a unified façade.