Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Previous Name

Tipperary Post Office

Original Use


Historical Use

Post office

In Use As



1890 - 1910


189138, 135805

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced four-bay three-storey building, erected c. 1900, with shopfront and separate entrance to upper floors. Pitched roof, covering not visible. Painted rendered chimneystacks and parapet with moulded cornice and string course. Painted rendered walls, having render quoins to east gable. Square-headed window openings to upper floors with stone sills and timber sliding sash two-over-two pane windows. Double-height shopfront with moulded cornice doubling as continuous sill course to first floor windows, and with incised lettering 'POST OFFICE' to render fascia, with pilasters on red brick bases with dressed limestone impost course and plinth. Square-headed openings to shopfront with fixed timber windows having dressed limestone cornices and with fixed replacement uPVC overlights and replacement uPVC double-leaf entrance door and overlight. Square-headed entrance opening to upper floors with replacement timber door and plain overlight. Cast-iron wall mounted letterbox, c. 1950 to shopfront.


This is a large turn-of-the-century terraced building which retains its character and form. The incised lettering and wall-mounted postbox are a reminder of the former purpose of the premises. The form of the structure and its detailing add much to the architectural variety of the main street.