Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
Garda station/constabulary barracks
1845 - 1855
Detached five-bay two-storey former RIC barracks, built c.1850, with two-storey return and single-storey extension to rear, now derelict. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks and terracotta ridge tiles. Exposed rubble limestone walls. Square-headed openings with remains of two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows having limestone sills. Round-headed brick-arched opening with replacement timber door with overlight. Rubble limestone boundary walls and piers to front of site.
Although derelict, this barracks retains its imposing form and proportions. It provides interest to the streetscape of Mullinahone. It replaced an earlier barracks on Kickham Street which played a role in the 1798 rising. This building housed Black and Tans during the War of Independence, and subsequently became a Garda Station.