1835 - 1840
Detached gable-fronted two-storey diocesan library, dated 1836, with three-bay side walls and single-bay end elevations. Pitched slate roof with dressed limestone eaves course, dressed limestone pediments to gable ends and cast-iron rainwater goods. Rubble sandstone and limestone walls with dressed limestone plat-bands between floors, dressed limestone plinth and giant order pilasters and stepped dressed limestone buttresses to side elevations. Recent limestone date plaque to front elevation. Round-headed window openings to first floor and segmental-headed to ground floor with limestone sills, dressed limestone surrounds and timber sliding sash windows, nine-over-six pane to first floor and six-over-three pane to ground floor. Segmental-arch doorway to front wall with dressed limestone block-and-start surround with keystone and having timber panelled double-leaf door with limestone steps. Vestibule leads to central display room through segmental-headed doorway with glazed timber panelled double-leaf door. First floor reached by wooden stairs and comprises one long library with wooden bookcases projecting into space from side walls. Window over entrance frames view of Rock of Cashel.
This building forms a nationally-important precinct with the cathedral and its gates and lodge, and, formerly perhaps, the houses of various church officials. Since its construction, the building has housed the important library of Archbishop Theophilus Bolton, one of the most significant collections in Ireland. The building incorporates classical and Georgian elements such as pediments, pilasters and tall round-headed windows, providing visual links with the Cathedral. Evidence of well-crafted stonework is clear in the plat-bands and other details and the building is enhanced by the round-headed timber sash windows.