Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1845
Corner-sited end-of-terrace five-bay two-storey house, built c.1830, with integral carriage arch to front elevation, house being one of pair with house to northwest. Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystacks, render eaves course and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with render quoins to southeast end. Square-headed window openings with limestone sills and timber sliding sash windows, eight-over-eight pane to first floor and twelve-over-eight pane to ground floor. Segmental-headed door opening with moulded limestone surround, inset with timber panelled door having timber doorcase comprising paired panelled pilasters on limestone plinths, timber moulded cornice, decorative petal fanlight and approached by flight of limestone steps with cast-iron railings. Segmental-headed carriage arch with battened timber double-leaf door.
Its prominent site, next to the cathedral precinct in Cashel, and its large scale make this building an imposing structure in the streetscape. Its regular form is enhanced by the diminishing windows, deep chimneystacks and the retention of small-pane windows. The carriage arch relates the house to its yard at the rear. The petal fanlight and timber doorcase create a central focal point for and enliven the façade of this house.