Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1845
Terraced three-bay two-storey house, built c.1830, having similar fenestration to house to southeast. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack and render eaves course. Rendered walls with render quoins to northwest end. Square-headed window openings with limestone sills and timber sliding sash windows, eight-over-eight pane to first floor and twelve-over-eight pane to ground floor. Segmental-headed door opening with moulded limestone surround inset with timber panelled door having timber doorcase comprising paired panelled pilasters on limestone plinths, timber and cut limestone cornice, decorative cobweb fanlight and approached by flight of limestone steps with cast-iron boot-scrape and railings.
The curious proportions of this house make it unusual in this street of otherwise well-proportioned town houses. Its many-paned windows, which emphasize the unusual proportions, are also unusual on John Street, an ensemble of fine nineteenth-century houses leading to the cathedral precinct. The façade is enlivened by the finely crafted limestone door surround and the steps, but most particularly by the fine timber doorcase and fanlight.