Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social

Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1840


207716, 140437

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached corner-sited five-bay two-storey house over half-basement, built c.1830, now also in use as guesthouse. Pitched roof with rendered chimneystacks. Rendered walls with render quoins and decorative render frieze with pear-drop motif. Render and timber religious plaque with render hood-moulding to northwest gable. Square-headed openings with six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows, limestone sills and render surrounds comprising decorative pilasters, consoles and cornices. Elliptical-headed door opening with fluted render pilasters and archivolt having timber door with decorative panels and flanked by paired decorative render pilasters and cornice, all with frieze, cornice and ornate cobweb fanlight. Approached by flight of limestone steps with sweep walls and decorative cast-iron railings continuing to form boundary of basement area. Three-bay two-storey outbuilding to rear with pitched slate roof, rendered chimneystack, rendered walls, square-headed window openings with replacement timber windows, stone sills, square-headed opening with timber battened door and render surround with render keystone and elliptical-headed opening with timber battened door and render surround with render triple keystone. Access to rear through elliptical-headed carriage arch.


This large and prominently-sited house makes an imposing feature on the streetscape. The horizontal emphasis of its regularly massed façade and its elevation over a basement make a contrast with the surrounding buildings. Its façade is enlivened by decorative features such as the frieze, quoins and render surrounds. Its form is enhanced by the sweeping steps and central door opening whose decorative fanlight and elaborate doorcase make it a very notable feature in the street. The house forms a group with the outbuilding and carriage arch to the rear.