Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social

Previous Name

Catholic Church of Our Lady of Mercy

Original Use


In Use As



1830 - 1835


172104, 119014

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Freestanding gable-fronted Roman Catholic church, built 1830-2; dated 1834. Comprising five-bay nave, open work limestone bellcote having cast-iron cross finial and recent four-bay single-storey extension to east elevation. Pitched slate roof with limestone copings and render cross finial to front (west) elevation. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls having limestone plaque to front. Lancet stained glass quarry glazed windows with limestone sills and pointed arch opening having render surround, limestone sill and timber Y-tracery quarry glazed stained glass windows. Pointed arch openings to nave with render surrounds, limestone sills and timber Y-tracery quarry glazed stained glass windows. Those to south elevation having render hoodmouldings. Round-headed opening with render hoodmoulding, stained glass overlight and double-leaf timber panelled doors. Round-headed door opening to north elevation with render surround, stained glass overlight, now partially blocked up. Round-headed door opening to south elevation having render hoodmoulding, stained glass overlight, now partially blocked up with pointed arch niche having statue over. Marble altar to interior. Pair of square-profile sandstone piers with carved caps and single-leaf cast-iron gate. Boundary walls comprising dressed sandstone walls having sandstone cappings and lined-and-ruled rendered walls with limestone cappings to. Graveyard to site.


The simple form of this church is enhanced by carved limestone elements and the decorative render detailing around the openings. A cut-limestone plaque is inscribed: "THIS CHURCH WAS ERECTED/A.D 1834/UNDER THE SUPERINTENDENCE/OF THE REVd. D. BUCKLEY P.P.".