Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1810 - 1820


173954, 125489

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Freestanding T-plan gable-fronted Roman Catholic church, built in 1819. Comprising two-bay nave with single-bay transepts to east and west elevations having external staircases and single-bay single-storey sacristy to rear (south) elevation. Pitched slate roofs with terracotta ridge tiles, render eaves course, cast-iron rainwater goods and open work limestone bellcote to front (north) elevation. Roughcast rendered walls with render plinth course and inscribed limestone plaque to front. Pointed arch opening to front having chamfered surround and stained glass window. Pointed arch openings to nave having Y-tracery six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows and limestone sills. Pointed arch openings to rear having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash stained glass windows. Square-headed openings to rear and sacristy having four-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Pointed arch opening to front with chamfered surround and double-leaf timber battened door having cast-iron strap hinges. Flight of limestone steps to entrance. Pointed arch openings to transept gables having Y-tracery glazed overlights over timber battened doors. Pointed arch openings to transepts with timber battened doors. Altar wall to interior having Corinthian style columns with flanking pilasters supporting entablature and cornice. Marble memorial to west wall. Timber battened gallery having octagonal timber columns to entrance end. Random rubble sandstone boundary walls with render copings. Pair of square-profile rendered piers with double-leaf metal gates.


The plaque over the main entrance states that this church was a 'free gift' from the Massey family to the local Catholic parishioners. According to the Ballyhoura records, the church 'was constructed of local stone; the thatched church was built by Fr. William Power, who raised £600 to build it'. Its present form dates from 1857, when the roof was slated and further alterations made. The character of the church is enhanced by the retention of salient features such as the timber sash windows, slate roof and limestone bellcote. The plaque reads: 'The free gift of J Boulto Massey Esq for ever'.