Survey Data

Reg No

21903312


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

Country house


In Use As

Country house


Date

1760 - 1780


Coordinates

177021, 142109


Date Recorded

14/11/2007


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached square-plan five-bay two-storey country house, built c. 1770, with hipped slate roof with brick chimneystacks. Roughcast rendered walls. Square-headed openings having six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows and limestone sills. Render architrave to first floor, centre bay. Square-headed opening to south elevation, first floor, centre bay with six-over-six pane timber sliding wash window with flanking two-over-two pane windows. Round-headed opening having render surround comprising Ionic style engaged columns with scrolled consoles supporting architrave. Spoked fanlight over timber panelled door with flanking sidelights and Ionic style engaged columns. Gable-fronted two-bay single-storey gate lodge to south-east having extensions to rear. Hipped slate roof with rendered chimneystack. Rusticated limestone walls with roughcast rendered walls to gable apex. Square-headed openings having timber casement windows. Recessed opening with timber panelled door. Pair of lined-and-ruled rendered square-profile piers with carved limestone caps, double-leaf cast-iron gates and flanking square-headed pedestrian entrances having limestone copings, single-leaf cast-iron gates terminating in second pair of piers. Roughcast rendered walls with limestone copings terminating in pair of square-profile limestone piers having carved caps.

Appraisal

The form and design of this imposing country house are typical of such high status structures built in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The arrangement of openings to the front elevation is distinctive, reflecting a tripartite division internally. The subtly diminishing windows are typical of the neo-classical fashion and give a strong emphasis to the verticality of the structure. The gate lodge retains its original form and structure. The piers and gates at the public road are notable for their decorative features such as the cast-iron gates and limestone dressings. This house was the boyhood home of Father Daniel Considine SJ, author of 'Words of Encouragement.'