Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1785 - 1790
Detached five-bay two-storey over part raised basement country house, built 1786, on a T-shaped plan with single-bay single-storey lean-to projecting porch to ground floor; single-bay (two-bay deep) full-height off-central return (north). Pitched slate roof; pitched slate roof (north), clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks having capping supporting terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on creeper- or ivy-covered eaves with cast-iron downpipes. Creeper- or ivy-covered roughcast walls. Segmental-headed central door opening approached by perron of cut-limestone steps. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six timber sash windows. Square-headed window openings (basement) with cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing three-over-six timber sash windows. Set in landscaped grounds with piers to perimeter having ball finial-topped pyramidal capping supporting wrought iron double gates.
A country house making a pleasing visual statement in a wooded setting overlooking Lough Gur. NOTE: Lough Gur House was the occasional residence of Sir John Francis Charles de Salis (1864-1939) and Comtesse Hélène Marie de Riquet (1864-1902) and the arrival of the recently married couple to County Limerick was covered by Limerick Leader (7th June 1893) which reported that 'the visit...was marked by great rejoicing on the part of the tenantry [who] determined to present them with an address of congratulation... The proceedings began about two o'clock, with the presentation of a beautifully illuminated address to the Count and Countess [after which] the tenantry was entertained to a grand luncheon... In the evening, there was another reunion, and blazing bonfires testified the tenants' rejoicing' (Limerick Leader 7th June 1893). It was the Count de Salis who changed the name of the house from Grange Hill to Loughgur House and who sold the house (1926) to Richard O'Connell (1892-1964).