Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Detached five-bay two-storey over half basement country house, built c. 1780, with eight-bay two-storey outbuilding attached to side. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Square-headed window openings with six-over-six timber sash windows. Paired flight of stone steps with urns leading up to entrance set within projecting glazed porch with lean-to slated roof. Outbuildings to rear. Detached limestone gate lodge to entrance, built c. 1840.
Loughgur House, formerly known as Grange Hill, is an important country house within the archaeologically important area around Lough Gur. The house has gone through many uses but still retains its architectural integrity. Of considerable interest are the pair of flights of steps to the front door. It was formerly the house of Edward Croker Jr. In 1846 it was the home of Edward J. Croker. In 1881 it became the home of George Filgate J.P. Esq. Between 1883 and 1887 it was the home of Sir Francis Charles (1864 -1939), 7th Count de Salis-Soglio, noted British diplomat who served with distinction in Foreign Office. He changed the name to Loughgur House c. 1900.