Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Original Use


In Use As

Community centre


1865 - 1870


162824, 141346

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached seven-bay single-storey former national school, built in 1867. Comprising gable-fronted end bays and gable-fronted breakfront to front (west) elevation, single-bay single-storey extensions and gable-fronted extension to rear (east) elevation. Now in use as community hall. Pitched slate roof having render chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls with inscribed limestone plaque to breakfront. Tripartite openings to end bays having round-headed opening with flanking square-headed openings having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows and shared limestone sills. Square-headed openings with six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows and limestone sills. Square-headed openings to breakfront having timber battened doors. Pair of square-profile concrete piers to west with cast-iron post box, single-leaf cast-iron gate and stile. Pair of square-profile concrete piers to south-west having single-leaf cast-iron gate.


An attractive, well proportioned former school, which despite a change of use retains its original external appearance. Features such as the sash windows and slate roof enhance the fa├žade and help conserve the original aspect of the building. The separate entrances clearly articulate the classrooms for girls and boys, which were a common feature of the educational system in Ireland in the nineteenth century. Prominently sited this former school provides a pleasing roadside feature. Plaque reads: 'Grange National Schools Erected by S.F.W. de Salis Esq 1867'. The school was erected by John Francis William, 6th Count de Salis-Soglio, who was a British diplomat and coin connoisseur and lived between London and Grange Hill.