Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
1820 - 1830
Freestanding Board of First Fruits Church of Ireland church, built in 1823, having three-bay nave elevations, three-stage square-plan entrance tower and projecting side chapels to north and south elevations. Now in a state of ruin. Roof missing, corner pinnacles and stepped crenellations to tower with cut limestone stringcourse beneath. Snecked limestone walls with cut and tooled limestone quoins. Plaque above door with cut limestone stringcourse to tower and incised crosses to side chapel gables. Pointed arch openings to south nave wall and east elevation with hoodmouldings having limestone block-and-start surrounds. Paired pointed arch openings to second floor of tower with cut limestone block-and-start surrounds. Pointed arch door opening to ground floor of tower with label moulding and stops. Upstanding grave markers and rubble limestone wall with wrought-iron gate flanked by cut limestone piers to site.
Although now in a state of ruin, high quality craftsmanship is still evident in this Church of Ireland church. This is particularly displayed in the cut limestone finishes to the door and window surrounds. The architectural design of the building is especially apparent with the finishes to the tower, which is enhanced by stringcourses and corner pinnacles. Interestingly there are no window openings to the north elevation.