Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1860 - 1865
Freestanding gable-fronted single-cell Roman Catholic church, built in 1864, having five-bay nave elevations, lower gabled chancel and gabled sacristy to east elevation and entrance porches to west, north and south elevations. Pitched artificial slate roof with limestone copings terminating in carved limestone brackets, limestone cross finials, timber barge-boards and cast-iron rainwater goods. Gabled bellcote to west. Snecked limestone walls havning cut limestone plinth, with carved date plaque and recessed motif located above door. Lancet window openings to nave with cut limestone block-and-start surrounds to clear and stained glass windows. Triple lancet windows to chancel. Pointed arch openings having recessed timber battened doors with carved limestone hoodmouldings with stops and chamfered jambs. Square-headed opening to sacristy with blank pointed arch above having timber battened door with limestone block-and-start surround, approached by limestone steps. Upper cruck arch braced timber roof to interior. Pointed arch cut limestone arch to altar, timber gallery to rear. Double-leaf cast-iron gates to front of site flanked by octagonal profile gate piers with trefoil motifs and pointed capping stones. Dressed limestone plinth wall with cast-iron railings. Graveyard to south with upstanding grave markers.
This church displays examples of Gothic Revival architecture typical of the late nineteenth century in Ireland. It replaces an earlier T-plan church located across the road. The church displays fine examples of stone craftsmanship visible in the execution of the varied window types and door surrounds. The pride in craftsmanship common of the late nineteenth century is further displayed in finely carved timber ceiling to the interior and the limestone gate piers with cast-iron gates which are quite ornate for a rural church of this size.