1815 - 1825
Freestanding T-plan Roman Catholic church, built in 1820, having two-bay nave elevations with two-bay transepts to south and two-bay sacristy addition to north. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered walls with recessed plinth course. Roughcast render to north elevation. Pointed arch window openings having tooled stone sills and render hoodmouldings over. Stained glass windows throughout, that to the east with carved Y-tracery. Square-headed door openings having timber battened double-leaf doors. Holy water font recess to south elevation of nave and west elevation of transept having tooled limestone D-plan holy water fonts with carved Greek cross. Red and black quarry tiled lobby entrance to interior. Gallery to nave and transept supported on marble columns and accessed via timber winder stairs. Timber stations of the cross and holy water font. Marble altar table. Recent freestanding steel bell tower to east of church. Recent commemorative plaque to south-west of building. Rendered boundary walls terminating in square-profile piers with recent gates.
This church, established in 1820, remains a key focal point of the community and is of architectural and social significance. The understated architecture is typical of community churches of this date and reflects a time when Catholicism was under strain as a community religion and church building was funded by donations from a small group of local people. The building's simple architecture belies its key position in the early nineteenth century, a position it maintains today with a close affiliation to the nearby school and parochial house. Date plaque reads: 'Domhnach Mór A.D. 1820 Donaghmore' and 'St. Patrick's Church Jubilee A.D. 2000'.