Survey Data

Reg No

21837034


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

House


Date

1820 - 1860


Coordinates

127972, 133652


Date Recorded

19/08/2009


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay two-storey house, built c. 1840, having render shopfront to front (east). Formerly in use as shop, now in use as house. Pitched slate roof with rendered and brick chimneystacks, timber clad eaves course and uPVC rainwater goods with cast-iron downpipes. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls. Square-headed window openings having tooled stone and rendered sills to first floor, having decorative render surrounds and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with internal timber panelled shutters. Rendered shopfront comprising scrolled foliated consoles, moulded architrave, frieze and cornice. Square-headed window openings over rendered stall risers having fixed timber-framed single-pane display windows with overlights. Square-headed door openings having timber panelled doors surmounted by recent overlights. Situated fronting directly onto street.

Appraisal

Having retained much of its historic form and fabric including stone sills, internal timber shutters and sash windows, this attractive house makes a positive contribution to the visual appeal of Bridge Street. Artistic details including decorative window surrounds and a detailed render shopfront further enhance the structure's fa├žade and demonstrate the skilled craftsmanship of its builders and distinguishes this building from its surrounds. Although no longer in use as a shop, the retention of the shopfront is a vital to the history of the building and to the surrounding streetscape.