Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Terraced three-bay two-storey shop, built c. 1800, having shopfront to front (north-east). Pitched corrugated-iron roof with rendered chimneystack and uPVC rainwater goods. Rendered walls throughout having roughcast-rendered wall to first floor of front elevation. Recent timber facia to ground floor. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills and raised render reveals to first floor, having two-over-two-pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront comprising square-headed window openings with render sills and stall risers, having fixed timber-framed single-pane display windows. Central-square-headed door opening having glazed timber door. Located fronting directly onto street.
Forming part of pair of similarly scaled structures, this former house is an integral element of a long terrace of commercial properties. The unusual form of the building with its modestly scaled window openings and a steeply pitched corrugated-iron roof reflect the vernacular architectural influences and suggest that this building may have originally been thatched. The building has maintained much of its historic character through the retention of key historic features including fine sash windows and an uncomplicated shopfront.