Survey Data

Reg No

21837030


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social


Original Use

House


In Use As

Public house


Date

1820 - 1850


Coordinates

127970, 133757


Date Recorded

20/08/2009


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1830. Now in use as public house. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks, tooled limestone eaves course and uPVC rainwater goods. Tooled limestone walls with chamfered plinth. Square-headed window openings with tooled limestone sills and red brick block-and-start surrounds to first and second floors, having rubbed red brick voussoirs and uPVC casement windows. Camber-headed window openings with dressed limestone sills and voussoirs to ground floor, having uPVC casement windows with recent wrought-iron window guards. Camber-headed door openings with dressed limestone voussoirs, having double-leaf timber panelled doors surmounted by single-pane fanlights. Located fronting directly onto Street.

Appraisal

This attractive former town house is an integral part of a long terrace of commercial and residential buildings located in the centre of Newcastle West. The retention of historic features including cast-iron rainwater goods, camber-headed doors and windows enliven the fa├žade. The effective use of red brick creates a pleasing contrast against the dressed limestone fabric of the building.