Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1850
Terraced three-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1830, having recent timber shopfront to front (west). Now in use as shop and public house. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks, tooled limestone eaves course and cast-iron rainwater goods. Dressed snecked limestone walls. Square-headed window openings with tooled limestone sills and red-brick block-and-start surrounds to first and second floors, having rubbed red brick voussoirs and uPVC casement windows. Recent timber shopfront comprising pilasters, capped consoles and frieze with raised lettering, set against rendered wall. Square-headed window openings over recent cut granite stall risers having fixed single-pane timber-framed display windows surmounted by overlights. Square-headed door opening to shop entrance having double-leaf glazed timber doors surmounted by lead-lined stained glass fanlight with glazed spandrels. Elliptical-headed door opening to public house entrance, having double-leaf timber panelled doors surmounted by lead-lined stained glass fanlight. Located fronting directly onto street.
This attractive former town house is an integral part of a long terrace of commercial and residential buildings located in the centre of Newcastle West. The retention of historic features including cast-iron rainwater goods, an elliptical-headed doorway and the effective use of red brick creates a pleasing contrast against the dressed limestone façade, helping to preserve the building's historic character and enliven the façade.