Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1850
Terraced three-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1830, having recent timber shopfront to front (west). Now in use as shop. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks, tooled limestone eaves course and cast-iron rainwater goods. Dressed snecked limestone walls. Square-headed window openings with red-brick block-and-start surrounds and rubbed red brick voussoirs, having tooled limestone sills to second floor and uPVC casement windows throughout. Recent timber shopfront comprising pilasters, capped fluted consoles, architrave and uPVC frieze surmounted by timber cornice. Square-headed window openings over panelled timber stall risers, having fixed timber-framed single-pane display windows with wrought-iron window guards. Square-headed door openings having tiled step and double-leaf glazed timber doors to shop entrance. Single-leaf uPVC door surmounted by single-pane overlight to accommodation entrance. Located fronting directly onto the street.
This attractive former town house is an integral part of a long terrace of commercial and residential buildings located in the centre of Newcastle West. The retention of historic features including cast-iron rainwater goods and the effective use of red brick creates a pleasing contrast against the dressed limestone façade, helping to preserve the building's historic character and enliven the façade.