Survey Data

Reg No

21835009


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical


Original Use

Creamery


In Use As

Museum/gallery


Date

1885 - 1890


Coordinates

138262, 121206


Date Recorded

01/07/2009


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached single-bay single-storey gable-fronted former creamery, dated 1889, having five-bay side (north-east) elevation and two-bay single-storey gable-fronted addition to side (south-west). Now in use as a museum. Pitched slate roof with recent cast-iron chimneystack and rendered rubble stone eaves course. Pitched bitumen roof with rendered eaves course to addition. Rubble stone walls throughout with roughly dressed limestone quoins. Tooled limestone date and commemorative plaques to side (south-west) elevation. Cast-iron water tank to side (north-east) elevation on steel supports. Cast-iron bracing plates to side (south-west) elevation. Camber-headed window openings with tooled limestone sills throughout, having dressed rubble stone voussoirs and replacement timber casement windows. Square-headed window openings with tooled limestone sills to rear elevation and side (north-west) elevation of addition, having rubble stone voussoirs and replacement timber casement windows. Camber-headed door openings throughout. Tooled limestone block-and-start surround and voussoirs to front elevation, having stepped approach and double-leaf timber battened doors surmounted by tripartite overlight. Rubble stone voussoirs and replacement double-leaf timber battened doors surmounted to side (north-east) elevation. Timber battened door surmounted by single-pane overlight to side (south-west) elevation. Rubble stone voussoirs and timber battened door to side (south-east) elevation of addition. Square-headed door openings with rubble stone voussoirs to side (north-west) elevation of addition, having glazed timber door flanked by multiple-pane sidelights.

Appraisal

This well maintained former creamery retains much of its historic form and fabric including large camber-headed windows, doorways, rubble stone walls and tooled limestone sills. The fa├žades of the building are enlivened by artistic details utilising tooled limestone both for quoins and finely crafted voussoirs and door surrounds. Plaque reads: 'October 20th 1989 Unveiled by Dr. Patrick Hillery President of Ireland to commemorate the founding of Ieland's first co-operative creamery in Dromcollogher on the 6th June 1889. To pay tribute to the founders fo the movement and all those who work for co-operation and community development.'