Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social Technical
In Use As
1860 - 1865
Freestanding high cross style monument, dated 1863, commemorating various members of the Goold family. Tooled limestone high cross (approximately 4 m high) mounted on tooled limestone plinth above tooled limestone stepped plinth. Tooled panels with Celtic interlace to cross and shaft with decorative bosses to cross. Tooled stylised dog tooth motifs to ring of cross. Tooled shamrock motifs to intersections of cross. Recessed inscribed panels to plinth. Carved rope motifs to corners and surrounds of panels. Recent concrete block enclosing walls with render coping. Tooled limestone plaque to western enclosing wall. Tooled limestone square-profile piers to entrance having chamfered corners, pitched caps and trefoil-headed motifs to gables with wrought-iron gate.
This dramatic monument, located on the outskirts of Athea, was designed by the architect William Fogerty. Utilising a strong symbol of Irish history, the Irish high cross, it makes an ideal subject for a monument with various forms of interlacing and rope motifs, adding not only artistic interest, but also demonstrating the skill of nineteenth-century stone masons. This substantial monument commemorates Thomas F. Goold, of the Goolds of Cork City, benevolent landlords at the time of the Famine who refused to evict tenants who were unable to pay the rent. Thomas F. Goold was the only son of Archdeacon Goold and was nephew to his father's sister, Caroline, who married Sir Ralph Gore Booth, the grandparents of Countess Markievicz.