1930 - 1960
Bank of Ireland
Detached five-bay two-storey former bank, built c. 1950, having single-storey addition to side (east). Now in use as house, veterinary clinic and barber shop. Pitched artificial slate roof with red brick chimneystack, overhanging eaves and uPVC rainwater goods with cast-iron downpipe. Running bond red brick walls with render plinth, channelled quoins and platband below eaves. Render facia to first floor having fluted ends. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls to side (east, west) elevations with rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings with render sills throughout, having render block-and-start surrounds to front elevation. Rendered entablatures and fixed single-pane timber-framed display windows to ground floor. Replacement aluminium casement windows to first floor. Wrought-iron casement windows to side (west) elevation, having wrought-iron window guards. Square-headed door opening to front elevation, having channelled render pilasters with decorative brackets and double-leaf timber panelled doors with single-pane overlight, surmounted by render canopy. Tooled limestone stepped approach. Red brick piers with render coping supporting single-leaf steel clad gate to side (west). Red brick enclosing wall to eastern end of front elevation having square-headed door opening with timber battened door.
Set back from the street, this former Bank of Ireland closed in the 1960s. The building is an interesting mix of materials with red brick walls creating a visual and textural contrast against the classically influenced render quoins and window surrounds. Its symmetrical façade is greatly enhanced by the unusual groupings of windows and a central chimneystack. The building makes a strong contribution to the architectural value of the surrounding streetscape.