1870 - 1890
Detached five-bay two-storey over half-basement bank, built c. 1880, with two-bay two-storey returns to south (rear). Hipped slate roof with terracotta ridge crestings, sawtooth pattern brick eaves course and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted brick walls with carved limestone plinth course. Rendered walls to rear. Square-headed openings to first floor, north (front) and west elevations with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, carved shouldered surrounds to heads and continuous carved limestone sill course. Round-headed openings to ground floor, front and west elevations with round-headed one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, carved pointed arch surrounds to heads, carved limestone continuous impost course and sill course. Square-headed opening to ground floor west elevation with shouldered limestone surround to head and sharing impost and sill courses with other windows to same level. Camber and square-headed openings to rear with replacement windows. Shouldered square-headed opening to front elevation, approached by double sided flight of cut limestone steps. Timber battened door with dressed limestone surround having quatrefoil and circular recesses, gabled canopy with trefoil hood, carved finial and carved brackets. Rendered boundary wall to south-west with square-profile cut limestone piers to entrance.
A very notable feature on Rathkeale's Main Street, this bank building's imposing appearance is heightened by the raised ground floor, flight of steps to entrance and elaborate doorcase. The red brick construction is unusual within the town and is emphasised by the decorative eaves course. The brick is offset by the carved limestone details, which show evidence of fine stone crafting and lend the building an air of almost ecclesiastical grandeur.