Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


In Use As

Heritage centre/interpretative centre


1860 - 1880


112839, 147083

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Freestanding Gothic Revival Church of Ireland church, built between 1865-1870, comprising five-bay nave with lean-to porch to west, chancel to east and vestry to south. Adjoining square-plan three-stage tower to south-west, built in 1871. Pitched slate roofs having limestone copings and cast-iron cross finials to nave, vestry and chancel. Cast-iron cross finial to nave, limestone cross finial to chancel. Single-pitched fishscale roof to porch. Limestone spire with cast-iron cross finial to tower. Snecked limestone walls having limestone plinth course and sandstone platbands. Rusticated limestone walls to porch having rusticated limestone plinth course and sandstone platband. Rusticated limestone walls to tower having tooled limestone quoins, sandstone platbands, rusticated plinth course, carved roundels to third stage, recent inscribed plaque to west elevation and date plaque to east elevation. Chamfered corners to tower, third stage. Lancet stained glass windows to nave with tooled limestone block-and-start surrounds. Paired lancet stained glass windows with limestone block-and-start surround and relieving arch over to vestry, south elevation. Triple lancet window to chancel, east elevation having cut limestone hoodmoulding, tooled limestone surround with inscribed date. Oculus to nave, west elevation having alternate limestone and sandstone voussoirs. Trefoil-headed openings to porch, west elevation one with stained glass window, one blocked up, having tooled limestone surrounds. Paired arrow slit window openings to tower, second stage with limestone surrounds. Pointed arch openings to third stage having louvered vents. Pointed arch opening to porch, south elevation with tooled limestone surround having inscribed lettering and double-leaf timber battened doors with ornate cast-iron strap hinges. Square-headed opening to tower, east elevation having chamfered limestone surround, relieving arch and timber battened door. Square-headed opening to vestry, west elevation with chamfered limestone surround and timber battened door. Concrete ramp to entrance. Square-headed opening to vestry, east elevation having tooled limestone surround and metal door. Flight of limestone steps to entrance. Graveyard to site. Pair of square-profile chamfered limestone piers to west having carved caps and double-leaf fleur-de-lis-headed cast-iron gates. Rubble limestone boundary walls to site.


The form of this Gothic Revival church breaks from the earlier Board of First Fruits single-cell and tower arrangement. It is situated adjacent to the site of an earlier Saint Paul's Church of Ireland church, which was built in 1815, the west tower of which in incorporated into the present church. James Edward Rogers was the architect for this church, which was originally part of the Glin Castle demesne. It retains most of its original form and massing, together with later features such as the tower. Features such as the sandstone platbands, and sandstone and limestone voussoirs provide textural and chromatic variation, whilst the tower provides a focal point of the Gothic Revival design. The church forms an attractive landmark and contributes positively to the visual appeal of the area.