Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Technical
In Use As
1780 - 1800
Six-arch road bridge over the River Maigue, built c. 1790, with round-headed arches. Roughly dressed limestone walls with concrete parapet walls having metal railings. Cut limestone voussoirs to arches. Ashlar limestone V-cutwaters to south elevation and concert U-cutwaters to north elevation.
The simple elegant form of this road bridge is much enhanced by the contrast between random rubble limestone walls and the finely executed cut limestone voussoirs and V-cutwaters, which add textural interest to the structure. This bridge is a reminder of the pride and craftsmanship employed in such endeavors in the late eighteenth, early nineteenth century.