Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1860
Freestanding carved limestone monumental fountain, erected in 1855, set within cut limestone pentagon-profile basin with carved copings. Tapering four-sided obelisk style shaft surmounted by Celtic cross with carvings in relief and to the base. Plinth comprising projecting gables with trefoil and cross motifs and carved lettering in relief. Cast-iron spouts to three sides.
As its inscription indicates, this monument was 'erected by Caroline Countess of Dunraven in grateful memory of the zeal shewn by the people of this village in quenching fire at the offices Adare Manor on the 1st April 1844'. It adds, therefore, much historical and artistic interest to the town. Its site, next to the Holy Trinity Church, is a prominent one and it contributes significantly to the streetscape. It was designed by Charles Hardwick, who also restored the church. Fine stonemasonry and artistic skill are evident throughout the monument, with the lettering and carving to the base of the cross being particularly fine examples.