Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet


1820 - 1840


161027, 127754

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached six-bay two-storey former school, built c. 1830, with shopfront to front (north-west) elevation. Now in disuse. Pitched slate roof having limestone copings and brick chimneystacks. Render over rubble limestone walls with cast-iron lamp to first floor. Square-headed openings having limestone sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Cast-iron sill guards to ground floor windows. Shopfront to ground floor having timber fascia. Square-headed display openings with multiple-paned windows and brick risers. Square-headed openings with glazed overlights over replacement timber doors.


As one of the few detached buildings in the streetscape, this building is distinguished by its subtle classical form and elegantly proportioned façade. Despite the insertion of a later shopfront, it presents an early aspect and retains much of its original form, together with salient features such as the slate roof and sash windows. On the third edition Ordnance Survey map of Kilmallock it is identified as a school.