Categories of Special Interest
Garda station/constabulary barracks
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Detached three-bay two-storey former hospital, built c. 1830, comprising projecting end bays to front (east) elevation, lean-to to east elevation and four-bay single-storey extension to rear (south) elevation. Now in disuse. Hipped slate roof with rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls having render plinth course. Square-headed openings with limestone sills and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Sandstone door surround to centre-bay having inset round-headed niche with square-headed replacement half-glazed timber panelled door. Square-headed opening to rear extension having timber battened door. Pair of square-plan piers to east with double-leaf cast-iron gates and rendered boundary walls.
This is an attractive classically proportioned building with projecting end bays, which enhance the otherwise regular façade. Skilled craftsmanship is apparent in the design and execution of the doorcase. The original character and proportions of the building are retained despite alterations.