Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Previous Name

The Vicarage

Original Use

Rectory/glebe/vicarage/curate's house

In Use As



1820 - 1840


168275, 123530

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached three-bay two-storey over basement former rectory, built c. 1830, comprising gabled end bay and lean-to porch to front (south) elevation. Now in use as a private house. Hipped slate roof with red brick chimneystacks and overhanging eaves. Rubble sandstone walls with roughly dressed sandstone quoins. Square-headed opening with brick surrounds, replacement uPVC windows and tooled limestone sills. Square-headed opening to porch having glazed overlight over timber panelled door. Limestone steps to entrance. Three-bay two-storey outbuilding to west with pitched slate roof and cast-iron rainwater goods. Rough-cast rendered walls. Square-headed window openings. Elliptical-headed carriage arch. Square-headed door openings. Rubble limestone boundary walls with segmental-headed carriage arch having double-leaf wrought-iron gates to yard. Pair of square-profile dressed sandstone piers to east with carved caps, plinths, replacement metal double-leaf gates and sweeping walls terminating in second pair of piers.


Set within it own grounds, the form of this well proportioned and modestly-designed house is enhanced by the gabled end bay and porch. The use of the sandstone in conjnction with the red brick surrounds to the openings is an attractive feature of the building. The outbuilding and entrance gates contribute to the overall setting of the site.