Categories of Special Interest
1900 - 1910
Detached five-bay two-storey U-plan convent, built in 1905, comprising gable-fronted projecting end bays to front (east) elevation and multiple-bay two-storey extensions including six-bay two-storey school to rear (west) elevation. Single-storey two-bay chapel to rear. Pitched slated roof having limestone copings, cross finials, terracotta decorative ridge cresting and yellow-brick chimneystacks. Hipped slate roof to school. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls having rendered plinth and render quoins. Pointed arch niches to gabled end bays with render hoodmouldings, plinths, block-and-start surrounds and statues. Square-headed openings having render block-and-start surrounds, limestone sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed bipartite openings with render block-and-start surrounds, shared limestone sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Paired lancet stained glass windows to chapel, south-west elevation, having quatrefoil motifs, block-and-start tooled limestone surrounds and sills. Lancet windows to chapel, nave with tooled limestone block-and-start surrounds. Pointed arch opening having tooled limestone block-and-start surround with stained glass overlight over double-leaf timber panelled door. Limestone entrance to step.
Saint Paul's Convent was built by the architect and engineer Brian Edward Fitzgerald Sheehy. Differing treatments of the limestone, with a varied profile and robust detailing ensure this composition makes a strong impact on Kilfinnane's streetscape. The convent forms part of a group of related religious structures including the Roman Catholic church and presbytery to the south. Date stone on front wall reads: 'AMDG 1905', which stands for 'Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam' (To The Greater Glory of God).