Survey Data

Reg No

21810001


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

House


Date

1770 - 1790


Coordinates

179890, 127805


Date Recorded

05/11/2007


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Corner-sited end-of-terrace four-bay two-storey house, built c. 1780, having render shopfront to front (south) elevation and timber shopfront to east elevation. Carriage arch to east and extensions to rear (north) elevations. Hipped slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls having render quoins. Square-headed openings with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to first floor and painted stone sills. Square-headed opening having moulded render surround, entablature, cornice and half-glazed timber panelled door. Shopfront comprising raised render pilasters with roundel motifs and cornice. Square-headed timber casement display windows with concrete sills. Shopfront to east comprising pilasters with recessed panels, fascia and cornice. Square-headed timber casement display window having cast-iron sill guard. Square-headed opening with half-glazed timber panelled door. Elliptical-headed carriage arch to east having replacement double-leaf metal doors and square-headed pedestrian entrance.

Appraisal

This prominently sited building was once used as a base by Bianconi on the Cashel to Cork route. Its modest form is enlivened by ornate render details, such as the quoins and shopfront. The timber sash windows help maintain its original character. The shopfront to the east retaining its small display window is an interesting feature and is representative of the small-scale commercial activity which once took place in many towns in Ireland. On the first edition OS map for Limerick this area was called Lowe's Town. Timber plaque to wall reads: 'This building was originally used as a base by Bianconi, to change horses on his way from Clonmel to Cork, and it was converted into dwelling houses in the year 1836, making this side of the street the oldest in the village.'