Survey Data

Reg No

21527001


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Previous Name

Snuff Box


Original Use

Beacon


In Use As

Beacon


Date

1865 - 1875


Coordinates

155284, 156219


Date Recorded

14/02/2007


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Freestanding single-bay three-storey Gothic Revival tower, erected in 1870, and situated on the south bank of the River Shannon. Tower, 36 feet high, tapering to the top, with battlemented parapet, machicolations and a bartizan in north-west corner which housed the harbour light. Squared coursed cut limestone walls. Square-headed narrow window openings.

Appraisal

This small tower/folly/navigation light/beacon was erected in 1870 to commemorate William Spillane. It was during Spillane's mayoralty that the Corcanree embankment was completed. The Spillane family were the largest tobacco importers in Munster and as snuff was a product of the Spillane Tobacco Company, the tower became known as the Snuff Box. The building is historically important as it served as a harbour light/marker buoy since 1885. It is important in terms of its context with the River Shannon. It contributes to the history of navigational architecture in Limerick and within the greater Shannon region.