Survey Data

Reg No

21525014


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1890 - 1910


Coordinates

156473, 155087


Date Recorded

22/06/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Semi-detached two-bay two-storey red brick house, built c. 1900, with a red brick three-sided bay window engaged with bay of neighbouring house to west. Round-arch front door porch to east. Two-storey return flush with east-facing side elevation. Pitched natural slate roof with terracotta ridge comb tiles, with hipped-gabled east side enriched by terracotta finial. Roof light to rear span. Shared chimneystack to west party wall, faced with red brick having stepped capping. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick fa├žade laid in English garden wall bond, with eaves courses yellow brick stretcher course beneath moulded brick eaves course. Red brick three-sided bay window with repeating eaves course treatment. Cast-iron cresting and hipped slate roof structure. Rendered side and rear elevation. Square-headed window openings with red brick flat arches, reveals, limestone sills, and one-over-one timber sash windows with ogee horns. Pound-arch porch opening with rendered porch step, and moulded brick surround. Doorframe comprising leaded coloured glass sidelights over panelled timber bases, and tripartite overlight with leaded coloured glass glazing. Raised and fielded panelled door. Tiled porch platform. Elevated front site enclosed from the road by a rendered retaining boundary wall with cast-iron panelling above. Red brick piers having stop-chamfered corners, forming pedestrian gate, with limestone capping stones reading: VOKES VILLAS. Simple wrought-iron gate. Stepped front site bay flanked by soft landscape areas, partially enclosed by cast-iron panelling. Access to rear site via lane to east. Large front site to east enclosed from Omega Avenue by rendered rubble stone wall.

Appraisal

This semi-detached house embodies a restrained use of materials, which contrasts with the more elaborate Edwardian houses that are more typical of domestic architecture in suburban Limerick. This house is virtually intact and contributes significantly to the streetscape.