Survey Data

Reg No

21525003


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1890 - 1910


Coordinates

156396, 155020


Date Recorded

21/06/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Semi-detached two-bay two-storey red brick house, built c. 1900, with three-sided red brick bay window at ground floor level having a lean-to roof structure prolonged to incorporate a partially glazed timber-framed entrance porch. Engaged gabled return to rear. Pitched natural slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Red brick chimneystacks rise from party walls with stringcourse and cornice. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick fa├žade laid in English garden wall bond. Rendered side and rear elevations. Square-headed window openings with elaborately detailed reinforced pre-cast lintel blocks, red brick reveals, limestone sills. Bay window comprising narrow window openings divided by red brick pier, with red brick apron beneath limestone sill. Continuous lintel block. uPVC windows throughout. Closed timber-framed entrance porch with encaustic tiled entrance platform, multiple-paned leaded coloured glass sidelights over panelled timber bases, glazed flat-panelled porch door leaf, and multiple-paned overlight, separated from neighbouring porch by timber screen. Square-headed door opening with limestone door step, simple doorframe incorporating overlight, and flat-panelled timber door having horizontal centre panel. Elevated front site enclosed from the road by a red brick plinth wall with concrete coping and cast-iron panelling above. Boundary terminated by red brick pier with stop-chamfered corners. Cast-iron gate posts with cast-iron gate following embellishments of cast-iron panelling. Rendered rear site boundary wall with cast-iron with vehicular access.

Appraisal

One of a pair of interesting late nineteenth-century houses compositionally united by paired gates and porch doors. Despite the loss of the original windows, the massing of the house is intact giving added architectural interest to the house.