Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Cultural, Historical, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1860 - 1880


157000, 156260

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached limestone Roman Catholic church, built between 1858-62, comprising a gabled east-facing nave elevation with buttressing to the height of the flanking lean-to aisle elevation. Single-story porch bay to north linking church to freestanding four-stage square-plan campanile, surmounted by octagonal spire, erected in 1875; with angle corner buttressing rising to third stage which has a blind arcade to each elevation; paired pointed-arch louver panelled openings to forth stage with angled drip mould above with cinquefoil oculus to tympanum. Single gable projecting to cardinal faces of octagonal spire. Five-sided apsidal west facing elevation with frieze of limestone trefoil tracery beneath eaves interrupted by gabled niche in shallow relief with veined marble crucifix rising from single buttress. Gabled transept elevations advancing from north and south elevations and largely flush with side aisle elevations. Projecting lean-to sacristy and three-sided altar projection to west. Spire to southwest corner of south transept. Pitched natural slate roof with black clay ridge tiles; limestone copings to gable parapets with stone cruciform finials. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Squared and snecked tooled limestone ashlar walls throughout with veined marble stone bands at the level of the lintel of the main entrance and sill level of aisle windows, and at varying ascending stages to apex of the nave elevation gable. Gabled entrance comprising half-engaged colonnettes supporting gabled tympanum flanked by angel figures rising from pedestals over colonnettes. Figurative statue ensemble to tympanum set within tracery frame, possibly of cast-iron. Paired opening beneath with veined marble stone colonnette to central pier, arrived at by limestone steps, which is closed by plank timber doors. Secondary pointed-arch door openings to aisle elevation, single-bay porch elevation and east-facing elevation of south transept. Pointed-arch east-facing nave window opening comprising five lancet windows of increasing height towards the centre, overarched by a limestone drip mould; leaded stained glass. Four groups of three pointed-arch lancet clerestorey window openings with limestone surrounds, flush canted limestone sills and quarry glass. Nave arcade comprising limestone columns with stylised foliate capitals with impost blocks from which sprint pointed arch archivolts, which converge just before meeting imposts. Sill course delineates clerestorey level. Crossing of nave, transepts and choir marked by full-height arch spanning with of each side rising from square-plan limestone piers. Form of exposed hammer beam roof structure rising from modillion corbel blocks. Tongue-and-groove timber panelling to aisle walls with timber-framed and panelled confessional boxes set in tall pointed arch window bay recesses having gothic detailing. Chapels advance from both aisles with decorative mosaic and wall painting. Organ gallery to east with timber parapet. Two highly impressive chapels with metal roof structure comprising principal rafters rising from foliate corbels, with figurative and stained coloured glazing. Elaborate plaster, marble and polished granite reredos and altar. Richly decorated chapels and altar areas with highly accomplished mid nineteenth-century mosaic wall covering. Stained glass includes subject matter including Saint Brigid and Saint Margaret, The Visitation, Saint Alphonsus, Saint Patrick and Saint Brigid Converting the pagans. Multiple statuary of nineteenth-century origins, forming donations in respect of the Redemptorist Order donated in 1904. Chapel of Our Lady of Perpetual Help erected in 1868, to the designs of Mr. Ashlin. The high altar constructed in 1865, to designs by George Goldie. Mosaic in sanctuary over the high altar was completed between 1925 and 1927. The Pulpit was erected in 1865 and designed by a Mr. Goldie.


The Redemptorists were established in 1732 by the Italian Alphonsus Liguori, who was later canonized. The Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (Redemptorists) was finally approved by Pope Benedict XIV in 1749. This church was built to the designs of Thomas Hardwick and the work was supervised by William Edward Corbett. Wallace was the builder. The foundation stone was laid on the 30th May 1858, and the church was dedicated to Saint Alphonsus on the 7th December 1862. The church cost £17,000. George Goldie designed the high altar for the Redemptorist Fathers which was unveiled and dedicated on the 15th October 1865. Goldie and Child were the architects responsible for the design of the tower and spire. It cost £7,550. The builder was Ryan & Son. George Coppinger Ashlin in 1890 and in 1893 carried out decorative work and in 1926, Ashlin and Coleman painted the interior dome. Saint Alphonsus Roman Catholic church is located within the parish of Saint Joseph, which was established in 1973. The Redemptorists came to Limerick in 1851, moving from various temporary situations, until the execution of this church on Mount Saint Alphonsus. The Mission cross, located to the right of the door, was donated by the Drapers Assistants. Sculpture to façade by Michael Pearse and Sons. The bell tower completed in the succeeding decades, and was paid for by Mr. John Quin, a local merchant.